Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Why did I apply to IBM CSC program?

When I first heard about the Cooperate Service Corps program, I felt that joining this program is a dream that would never come true. There were reasons why I felt the way I did back then. I was a new graduate who had just joined IBM for only a couple of years. I did not have enough work experience nor the skills set that are essential to join such a program. Also being a mom to two young mischievous boys who are doing a great job at keeping me on my toes all the time. I was just not ready from a career and skills perspective nor on a personal level as well.

So year after year, I started to settle in, build and invest time in my skills using one step at a time approach. I always had one goal in mind to achieve and the best of all, is that I am working for a company that promotes skills and expertise. In 2014, and for the very first time, my main goal was to apply to the CSC program. I felt so ready and prepared to start this journey. I was so passionate and excited during the application process. In fact, I started to dream in advance about the journey itself … what to do and how to help as if I had already being accepted in the program. Yes, that’s how passionate I can get when I dream in life. I guess that passion was reflected in my CSC application and thankfully, I ended up on the wait list. To say the least, being on this wait list made me feel honored and grateful although I usually can’t wait for things to happen.

My mentor during the application process was Sonya Favretto (CSC Alumni – Brazil) who just made the whole process for me so smooth and a pleasure to go through. Thank you so much Sonya. I also had the full support of my manager at the time, David Timms, who encouraged me to apply and had always been key in helping me achieve my goals. Thank you David for always being there!  

On a professional level and career development, the CSC not only complements the skills that I learned over the years, but it certainly broadens and fosters it to a global collaboration level by engaging in a unique experience based learning. It is important for me to maintain a practical, real-world perspective while developing my career.

On a personal level, I always feel that I have a lot to give. I love to help, care, smile and laugh. The more I get engaged and help, the better I feel. This keeps me energized, content and resourceful.  I truly believe that one of the main purposes in life is to be happy, useful, and compassionate. Each and every one of us can and should make a difference in this world. I had the advantage to travel and explore many great places on this planet. However, I have never had the privilege to travel for a great cause. Therefore, I found that joining the CSC program is the perfect global opportunity that just complements my career, character and personality.